Restoring the Soul, Collaborative Community, KGNU FORUM Broadcast May 23, 2013 @ 8:30am from The HUB Boulder
“Baby Boomers are Re-Visioning the Promise of Our Elder Years”
Download the MP3 replay here
For Any Questions: Please contact Prescott Knock at firstname.lastname@example.org
- “The number of people in the U.S. over age 65 is projected to double by 2030. In contrast, the number of people in Colorado over age 65 is projected to triple by 2030.” The Age Wave in Colorado, Elizabeth Garner, Colorado State Demography Office, Department of Local Affairs State of Colorado 9.29.2011, page 11.
- AARP Survey: “What I’d really like to do is remain in my current residence as long as possible” ages 50-64 85% strongly agree, 65+ 88% strongly agree. The Future is Coming: Planning and Policymaking for an Aging Colorado, Rodney Harrell, AARP Public Policy Institute 2010 survey, page 3.
Books and Information Referenced:
- Edward M. Podvall, Recovering Sanity, A Compassionate Approach to Understanding and Treating Psychosis, authored by Edward M. Podvoll, MD, Shambhala Press, 1990.
- Brilliant Sanity, Buddhist Approaches to Psychotherapy — edited by Kaklauskas, Nimanheminda, Hoffman & Jack. University of the Rockies Press, 2008
- Naropa Institute, Journal of Psychology, Articles by Vicky Howard on Aging and Elder Care in Volumes, I, III and VIII. Now out of print but can be found online.
- Ann Cason, Circles of Care, How to Set Up Quality Care for our Elders in the Comfort of their Homes, Shambhala Press
- Richie Davidson, PhD — Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and founder of the Affective Neuroscience Lab.
- Vicky Howard, PhD — Teacher, Author, co- founder of Dana Home Care in the ’70s,
former Naropa University core faculty member in the Master’s in Divinity program and Gerontology and Long Term Care Program.
- Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD — founder in 1979 of the Pain and Stress Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center, and founder of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, author of Full Catastrophe Living, Delta books, 1990.
- Judy Lief–Author, Teacher, Making Friends with Death, Shambhala Publications, 2001,– Garrison Institute talk on Contemplative Care, Dec. 2012.
- Matthieu Ricard, PhD in molecular genetics, 1972, Left the Science world and became a monk and Is now a Buddhist monk living in Nepal. Also a published author, photographer and translator, being the Dalai Lama’s main translator since 1989. He was a volunteer subject in Richie Davidson’s Lab at the University of Wisconsin, Madison and has co-authored a study on the brains of long term meditators.
- Francisco Varela, PhD — Neuroscientist, Founder of the Mind Life Institute with Adam Engler in 1990’s. edited many books from conferences set up between prominent Scientist and the Dalai Lama.
- Windhorse Family & Elder Care – www.windhorsecare.com
- Project Revive – www.projectrevive.com
- Sage-ing Guild – www.sage-ingguild.org
- Grief Support Network – www.griefsupportnet.org
- Circle of Care – www.circleofcareproject.org
- Care Connect – www.careconnectbc.org
- Dying Consciously – www.dyingconsciously.org
- Senior Reach – Toll free 1-866-217-5808 – Anyone can call this number if they have concerns about an elder in their community, and would like someone from the Mental Health Partners Geriatric Team to make a contact, and ask them if they would like some help. They do home visits, counseling, and resourcing the elder to services in the community that they may need.
- Mental Health Partners is the new name for Boulder County Mental Health Center. Call 303-443-8500, and then ask to speak with someone on the Geriatric Team www.MentalHealthPartners.com
- The Senior Center has a Resource Specialist that you can speak with on the phone, or go in person and receive information on all levels of resources for elders in the community. Call 303-441-3148
Classes and Discussion Groups Referenced:
- One Year to Live – Deborah Luscomb email@example.com
- Contemplative Competencies: Working with Sickness Old Age and Death – Prescott Knock firstname.lastname@example.org
- Conversations on Death – Kim Mooney KimMooney@trucare.org
- The Conversation Project – Ellen Goodman www.theconversationproject.org
- Befriending Small Deaths and Big Deaths – Dominie Cappadonna email@example.com
- Dying Consciously – Kitty Edwards firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contemplative End-of-Life Care – Darci Meyers email@example.com
- Caring for Others – Darci Meyers firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cultivating Compassionate Presence – Darci Meyers email@example.com